January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 10 14:21

[vox-tech] cgi-bin in user home dirs

Hi All,

I'm trying to allow user accounts to have their own
cgi-bin directory on a RH 7.2, apache box at my home.

For testing, I have file test.cgi.
(See below for file and permissions.)

When the file is placed in /var/www/cgi-bin it works.
Meaning, when I open a browser and key in
   http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.cgi
I see "Hello There".

When placed in /home/ja/public_html/cgi-bin it does
not work.  When I key in
   http://localhost/~ja/cgi-bin/test.cgi
I have gotten either of two responses
   1. the script text
   2. an error msg: "Forbidden You don't have
   permission to access /~ja/cgi-bin/test.cgi
   on this server.

I've tried changing cgi to pl, which had no effect.

Have also messed with /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
without success.  That's not too surprising.
I don't know what I'm doing.  But it didn't stop
me from hacking away.

Google and tldp.org did not turn up anything that
helped.  Neither did an Apache book I have.

A detailed, simple tutorial would be nice.

---
Jim

# ---------- test.cgi
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

use CGI qw(:standard);
use CGI::Carp qw/fatalsToBrowser/;

print header();
print start_html("Testing");

print h1("Hello There");
print end_html;

# ---------- permissions for test.cgi
# edited for readability
#
Script started on Mon Feb 10 10:25:51 2003

]0;ja@localhost:~[ja@localhost ja]$ ls -l
drwxr-sr-x    6 ja       apache       4096 Feb  7
16:23 public_html

]0;ja@localhost:~[ja@localhost ja]$ cd public_html/
]0;ja@localhost:~/public_html[ja@localhost
public_html]$ ls -l
drwxr-sr-x    8 ja       apache       4096 Feb  7
11:33 cgi-bin

]0;ja@localhost:~/public_html[ja@localhost
public_html]$ cd cgi-bin/
]0;ja@localhost:~/public_html/cgi-bin[ja@localhost
cgi-bin]$ ls -l test*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ja       apache        190 Feb  9
17:27 test.cgi

Script done on Mon Feb 10 10:26:39 2003