2003 Feb 06 14:15

Re: [vox-tech] can't open display with ssh2

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 11:23:47AM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> [...]

Ken,

  You are correct.  The current woody ssh _requires_ root to make changes to
/etc/ssh/sshd_config on the side receiving the connection in order for the
server to do its part to setup X11 forwarding (which allows client -X option
to work).

  When I said changes would just turn on forwarding of X to hosts that
weren't desired, I was thinking of the ForwardX11 option which is
in /etc/ssh/ssh_config which is a different issue.

  I did some tests here and there is no different in debug messages
(even with -vvv) between when X11 forwarding is allowed and disallowed
on the server side... the main noticeable difference is DISPLAY is not
set on the remote side.

  So checking sshd_config on the server side is very important.

    Sorry about the error,
      Mike

> I've configured sshd on Debian before.

ps:
  I don't know how long ago in the past but editing sshd_config didn't
used to be required to forward X connections on debian... -X was not
even needed on the ssh client command... things change over time.