2003 Jan 28 20:30

Re: [vox-tech] newbie annoyed with tin

on Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:50:44PM -0800, Katie (krwright1@yahoo.com) wrote:
> >Katie wrote:
> > > Is there any way to set this up so I don't have to do the
> > > $ export NNTPSERVER=news.ucdavis.edu everytime I go to use tin?
>
> > From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> > Add "news.ucdavis.edu" to your /etc/news/server file,
> > then just do "tin -r"
> > Or, as mentioned before, set the NNTPSERVER variable in your login
> > script.
>

> > From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> > How 'bout putting that into ~krwright1/.bashrc ?
>
> Maybe I should replace "newbie" with "completely pathetic and clueless"?
>
> I don't have an /etc/news/server file.  I tried to create one, but it
> didn't work.  Most likely I did it wrong.  How would I create
> /etc/news/server?

First check that it really doesn't exist:

    $ ls -l /etc/news/server

If it doesn't, then as root, create it.  Echoing something to a file
will do that:

    # echo "news.ucdavis.edu" > /etc/news/server

If it does exist, you'd edit the file (vi, nano, pico, etc.), as root,
and add an appropriate line.

> I don't know how to set anything in my login script. :-(
>
> My user name is katie.  I don't know how to find ~katie/.bashr.  When
> I put it at the command line I got /home/katie/.bashrc not a
> directory.

Hmm...  Are you executing it?  Try:

    ls -l ~/.bashrc

If the file doesn't exist, you can create it.  In either event, you can
add the alias by:

    $ echo "alias tin='tin -r'" >> ~/.bashrc

...and the next time you start a terminal window, 'tin' will run the
command 'tin -r'.

Peace.

   KQED FM:  The bright spot on the dial:  http://www.kqed.org/fm/