2003 Jan 28 19:29

Re: [vox-tech] newbie annoyed with tin

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:50:44PM -0800, Katie wrote:
> Maybe I should replace "newbie" with "completely pathetic and clueless"?

Nah. After all, you are trying to learn instead of giving up.

> I don't have an /etc/news/server file.  I tried to create one, but it
> didn't work.  Most likely I did it wrong.  How would I create
> /etc/news/server?

When you're asking questions like this, it's good to include exactly
what you tried to do, as well as any error messages that come up.

I'm going to guess that you're trying to do this as user "katie" but
getting a permissions error.

What to do is:
1) Become root. (in a terminal, run "su" and then feed it your password)
2) Using your favorite text editor, open /etc/news/server. (e.g. "pico
/etc/news/server")
3) Put in the appropriate text (as described by Bill Kendrick,
below).
4) Save the file and exit.

The reason you can't do this as user "katie" is that the directory
/etc/news is owned by user "root", and so (simplifying a little) nobody
but root can create new files in /etc/news.

> I don't know how to set anything in my login script. :-(
>
> My user name is katie.  I don't know how to find ~katie/.bashr.  When I
> put it at the command line I got /home/katie/.bashrc not a directory.

Using your favorite text editor, open ".bashrc".

To set the environment variable VARIABLENAME, put in the line
export VARIABLENAME=value

Note that this won't take effect immediately; bash only reads ~/.bashrc
when it first starts, so any terminals open before you edited ~/.bashrc
won't see this change. Open a new terminal and test it.

You can test it by running "echo $VARIABLENAME"; if you get a blank
line, it didn't work. If you see VARIABLENAME's value, it worked.