2003 Jan 26 19:08

[vox-tech] Re: newbie now having trouble with pico

From: Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>

> Is this an install of RedHat or Mandrake Linux?

I have Mandrake.

> It looks like you are trying to install a redhat rpm on a mandrake
> installation.  Although RPMs built for on a different distribution often
> work fine, you're best finding one for your particular flavor.

I tried finding Mandrake rpm's, but when I couldn't I went for Red Hat.  I
was told they were almost identical.  Was I misled?

> This problem also might come up if you try to install an RPM vs.
> upgrading it.
>
> Install: rpm -i
> Upgrade: rpm -U
>
> Upgrade will install it if it's not yet installed so i've gotten in the
> habit of:
>
> rpm -Uvh <package>

Yeah, this could be the problem.  When I downloaded, KPackage took over
and I was really just a monkey pressing whatever buttons it gave me.  I'm
thinking I better try the above method from now on.

Thanks!

Katie

=====
Only two things are necessary to keep a redhead happy.
One is to let her think she is having her own way,
and the other is to let her have it. :)