2003 Jan 24 05:03

Re: [vox-tech] Zope Tools for Content Management

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:24:28AM -0800, David Siedband wrote:
> Anyone out there used Zope for collaborative content management?  I am

Care to be a bit more details?  "collaborative content management" sems
to be a list of popular buzzwords that includes quite a range these days.

> setting up a portal for researchers in an environmental planning
> process, and I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on some of the
> different CMF add ons that are out there.  So far I've been playing with
> Plone and NuxeoCPS, but I'm weighing them against building from basic
> Zope constructs like Property Folder/Object and AbraObj.

The UCD Math department webserver allows 10 ish Math staff to maintain
quite a bit of content for a rather large population of Faculty,
Grads, and Undergrads.  Unfortunately alot of the cooler stuff isn't
publically visible, stuff like keeping various database (I'm guessing
around 10) up to date to track computer accounts, people, classes, and
the like.

In the last 24 hours we have had approximately 4300 hosts his up for
150k hits, about 2GB or so bandwidth wise.  Certainly not the worlds
busiest site, but hardly a slouch, I rarely see cpu usage over 10%, it's
only running on a dual p3-866, hardly an aggressive machine these days.

I like Zope's design, it's pretty well thought out, and pretty
easy to create a few forms, connect it to a database, and let a user
lose on it so they can maintain it themselves.  Versioning, undo,
easy to manage users/privs/etc all seem to work well.

How many people are going to use your portal?  What kind of duties
are they going to be doing?  Mainly posting content?  Mostly
database work?  Mostly chatroom type stuff?

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics