2003 Jan 22 16:21

Should I learn Java?

What do you think?  I've been programming (on and off) in Perl
for years.  I really love the syntax and structure of the language (not to
mention all the regex, built-in functions, and modules).  But it seems like
all the new development is in Java (and .Net).  I've been doing some of the
tutorials at java.sun.com.  Everything is hard (in comparison to Perl).

I know it depends on what I intend to write.  I'd like to write a couple
of small business apps.

Do I stick with a language I like, but requires my users to install perl,
and a gui library, maybe some modules, and database driver.  Or do I
climb the Java mountain, So that I can get the politicized portability (
I don't kwow if that's even true).

On the other hand Perl6 says they will be able to take perl source and
compile it down to any of the preeminent bytecodes (java, .net, perl to
be...), in which case it doesn't matter which source language I choose

So what to do?  I can't keep up with technology

Jay