2003 Jan 22 00:59

Re: [vox-tech] Re: vox-tech digest, Vol 1 #577 - 11 msgs

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 09:22 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Robin Snyder <resnyder@ucdavis.edu>

> > > hi robin,
> > >
> > > try:
> > >
> > >    ping 66.218.71.198
>
> that's the IP address for yahoo.com.
>
> it appears that you don't have DNS for some reason...

to clarify, you need to get the IP address for a nameserver or two into
/etc/resolv.conf -- if your ethernet configuration was/is hard-coded you
can do this by directly modify the file; if you/someone used a fancy gui
tool to configure the interface you'll need to use that tool.  the required
contents of the file are simple, e.g.,
first line: "search somedomainname.net"
second line: "nameserver 1.2.3.4"
modified to reflect the specifics of your provider, of course.

shawn.