2003 Jan 21 19:42

[vox-tech] Redhat-8.0.93 (phoebe-2) mini-review

[vox-tech] Redhat-8.0.93 (phoebe-2) mini-review

Figured some might be interested.  I'm working on a thin client (no disk
drive) for a semi-public lab of 30 machines.

We bought 30 thin clients (p4-2.0 Ghz/512 MB ram, no hard drive, on
board graphics via i845g, DVI out).

I was very pleasantly surprised to find quite a few improvements:
1. dvips is fixed (most tetex packages broke dvips -P after the last
   security update)
2. Anti-aliased as well as sub-pixel fonts work (the i845G lack of RENDER
   support caused a memory leak before)
3. 3D works, 60-70 fps at chromium, 840-950 ish fps at glxgears.
4. Mozilla comes with XFT enabled (anti-aliasing)

Nothing too exciting, a nice set of improvements.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics