2003 Jan 21 21:18

Should I learn Java (or stick with Perl)

  • To: "vox-tech" <vox-tech@luMAPSgod.org>
  • Subject: Should I learn Java (or stick with Perl)
  • From: "Jay Strauss" <me@heyjMAPSay.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:03:42 -0600

This is not to start a war, but I've been programming (on and off) in Perl
for years.  I really love the syntax and structure of the language (not to
mention all the regex, built-in functions, and modules).  But it seems like
all the new development is in Java (and .Net).  I've been doing some of the
tutorials at java.sun.com.  Everything is hard (in comparison).

I wanna write one (some) client/server GUI apps.  Do I stick with a language
I like, but requires my users to install perl, and a gui library, maybe some
modules, and database drivers.  Or do I climb the Java mountain, So that I
can get the politicized portability.

On the other hand Perl6 says they will be able to take perl source and
compile it down to any of the preeminent bytecodes (java, .net, perl to
be...)

So what to do?  I can't keep up with technology

Jay