January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jan 27 20:51

Re: [vox-tech] Question regarding network bandwidth...

on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:53:48AM -0800, R. Douglas Barbieri (doug@dooglio.net) wrote:
> I have a question that I need to ask in terms of an analogy, since true
> network tweaking is still something of a mystery to me (okay, okay, it
> betrays my ignorance in these matters...:-) ).
>
> When dealing with processor usage, you can "renice" a process and make it
> have a lower priority so it doesn't hog the CPU, and your system will
> "chunk" less. So is there a way to do something like this with a network
> connection?
>
> Since I have ADSL, it sucks whenever I want to upload a big file and my
> Internet connection is knocked to its knees. It would be great to be able
> to say "this outgoing tcp connection to foo.com gets only 1% of the
> bandwidth" or something like that. Am I making any sense?

You can implement QoS or bandwidth throttling using firewall / ip
filter rules.

Note too that wget and rsync both offer application-space bandwidth
limiting as well.  So you can requests, say, a 10Mb/s rate cap on some
transfer.  RTFM for more information.

Peace.

    The truth behind the H-1B indentured servant scam:
    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html
    http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/