2003 Jan 20 01:51

Re: [vox-tech] gimp question: layers and resizing

on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:33:32AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org) wrote:
> hola,
>
> ok, tonight i made history.  it was the first time i've ever used layers
> in my life.
>
> i've got an image that i created (saved as xcf format.  is that correct
> if i want to keep the layers intact?) with 7 layers.
>
> i'd like to make the whole image longer.  so:
>
>    Image | Canvas Size | Height (increased it by a bit)
>
> now i'm staring at my original image -- it looks like this:
>

>    ----------------------------------
>    |               |                |
>    |               |                |
>    |    original   |                |
>    |               |                |
>    |               |                |
>    |               |                |
>    |----------------                |
>    |                                |
>    |                                |
>    |      checkerboard              |
>    |                                |
>    |                                |
>    |                                |
>    ----------------------------------
>
> the original image is white with some graphics in it that i'd like to
> move into the checkerboard portion.  the checkerboard region is ...
> well, a grey checkerboard.  i don't know how else to describe it.  it's
> wierd.
>
> i'd like to move parts of my original image into the checkerboard
> region, but when i move the selection, the image selection is "clipped"
> by the boarder between the original section and checkerboard.
>
> it appears that my image is indeed larger, but the checkerboard region
> looks unusable.  i can't do anything with it.
>
> how can i:
>
> 0. make the checkerboard portion "white" just like the original image.

Create a new layer.  Make it white.  Merge with your existing
transparent layer (that's what the checkerboard represents), or delete
the transparent layer.  Or leave it...

> 1. make a selection of a portion of the original image (which resides on
> a layer).

Activate that layer (in the 'layers' dialog).  Click around, you'll find
it.

Select the portion of the image you want.  Copy or cut it as you want.

> 2. move the selection into the checkerboard region without clipping.

Activate the new layer.  Paste.

Check that you don't have the "keep trans" (preserve transparency)
setting checked on that layer.

Layers rock.

> sorry for the lameness.  :)
>
> pete
>
> ps- i placed a copy of this image in www.dirac.org/p/7b9.xcf if anyone
> wants to take a look at what i'm talking about.
>
> pps- the reason i want to do this in the first place is that gimp prints
> this image "sideways" in landscape mode.  i'd like for it to print in
> portrait mode, so i want to make the image longer but more narrow by
> make the 2x3 array into a 3x2 array.

    $ mogrify -rotate 90 foo.gif

...is another option.

    The truth behind the H-1B indentured servant scam:
    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html
    http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/