2003 Jan 16 15:03

Re: [vox-tech] Error Message From "find"

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:33:08PM -0800, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sometimes "find" will work; other times not.
> Below is a script where "find" runs good, I cd to a
> subordinate dir, run the same find command, and get an
> error message.  This is repeatable on my Red Hat 7.2
> system.
>
> If I were using relative addressing, then sure, it
> should be a problem.  But I'm not, am I?
>
> The output is just as script produces, except I have
> added several blank lines for readability.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> --------------- script output
>
> Script started on Thu Jan 16 12:07:52 2003
>
> ]0;ja@localhost:~[ja@localhost ja]$ find
> ~/public_html/web/pages/fam/ -name *.php -print | wc
> -l
>     134

Here, there aren't any files ending in .php, so "*.php* gets passed to
find verbatim.

> ]0;ja@localhost:~[ja@localhost ja]$ cd
> public_html/web/pages/fam/
>
> ]0;ja@localhost:~/public_html/web/pages/fam[ja@localhost
> fam]$ cd public_html/web/pages/fam/[ja@localhost fam]$
> find ~/public_html/web/pages/fam/ -name *.php -print |
> wc -l
> find: paths must precede expression
> Usage: find [path...] [expression]
>       0

Here, your shell is expanding *.php to a list of all .php files in the
current directory, so the command is actually

find ~/public_html/web/pages/fam -name foo.php bar.php bert.php ...
last.php -print

You need to enclose *.php in double quotes so your shell will leave it
alone.