2003 Jan 14 15:04

Re: [vox-tech] Puzzling Hard Drive Behavior -- ah HA!

Re: [vox-tech] Puzzling Hard Drive Behavior -- ah HA!

Quoting Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com):

> ==============================
> mounting root filesystem as read-write system:  [  OK  ]
> mounting root filesystem as read-write system: LABEL / Duplicate
> [ FAILED ]
> ==============================

Filesystem labels are a neat idea that, when it works properly, can
eliminate whole classes of problems.  Unfortunately, it also introduces
problems and complications of its own.  So, with some regret, I almost
always eliminate them on Linux systems I admin, especially if there's
any question of them being implicated in problems.

> Once that's figured out, I still have to work out my fear of running
> parted to set up my currently unmountable 60GB extended partition so
> that I can partition out my system the way I want it.

My view:  If you have tested, good backups, then you can use such
programs with full confidence.  However, you can alternatively just
rearrange partitions the old-fashioned way, and then restore data when
you're done.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"