2003 Jan 13 10:35

Re: [vox-tech] Puzzling Hard Drive Behavior

on Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 08:28:14AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:
> > WD has separate jumper configurations for:
> >
> >   - Master (single disk)
> >   - Master (with slave disk)
> >   - Slave (with master disk)
> >
> > AFAIK, it is not possible to run WD drives as slave, without a master
> > disk present.
> >
> > Double-check your jumper settings on both the slave *and* the master
> > drives.
>
> Yup, done that.  I'm thinking about setting them both on cable select
> now and seeing if that does any good.

I'd suggest a triple-check on that.  Note that the setting which works
for a standalone drive *doesn't* work for one paired with a slave.

Also:  try booting with all combinations of drives connected:  master
only, slave only, and both.

> > Yes, I've been bit by this one, it's a PITA.
>
> PITA?

Middle-eastern baked good, very tasty with hummus, falafel, or gyros.
Also "pain in the ass".

Peace.