2003 Jan 11 08:28

Re: [vox-tech] repartitioning linux

> i thought these were only fat _splitters_?

Unless it's been changed since I last used it, FIPS give the
_appearance_ of having "split" the filesystem, in that this...

|                  partition                  |

...looks like this when FIPS is done:

|   partition1    |    partition2             |

However, _100%_ of the existing data files end up solely in partition1,
and partition2 is created as a vestigial, empty structure that you're
expected to remove, thereafter.

My recollection of DiskDrake is that, by contrast, it does this:

-------------------
|   partition     |
-------------------

In any event, both tools have the effect of resizing the starting
partition.  That is, you end up with a FAT partition that contains all
the same files as before, except that the partition is now a different
size.

As mentioned, FIPS also leaves behind an empty filesystem, as an
artifact.  And, of course, the acronym is relevant, as it stands for
"First Interactive Partition Splitter.  But the point is that the
"split" puts all of the files into a smaller partition of the desired
size.

--
Cheers,   "Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?"
Rick Moen                                              -- Steven Wright