2003 Jan 09 11:32

[vox-tech] Ripping DVDs

I recently burned a DVD using a Mac and would like to make some changes to
it, but I deleted all of my rendered video files.  I would like to extract
the video off the DVD as mpeg2 files -- I gather this will involve
"de-multiplexing" the .vob files on the DVD.

I found a program called dvd::rip which is a GUI for another program called
Transcode.  This Transcode program does what I need to do, but I'm having
some problems getting it installed.  There are a several of dependencies
that my system doesn't have.  I'm running Red Hat 8.  I've found that
someone has an "apt repository" with a binary package for Red Hat 8.  What
is an apt repository?  I'm used to using RPMs or using compiling via
makefiles.  It appears that this site has an RPM for Transcode, but they say
that it is an apt repository...  Here is the site:
http://messlab.sourceforge.net/

Do I need to install the apt program, then I will be able to use their RPMs?

btw  I didn't use CSS when I burned the DVD  ;)

Charles