2003 Jan 08 02:55

[vox-tech] Fwd: Re: [vox] HTML Email Questions

Subject: Re: [vox] HTML Email Questions
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:09:40 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
To: vox@lists.lugod.org

Quoting Robert G. Scofield (rscofield@afes.com):
> Here are some questions about sending email in HTML format.
>
> I have heard that there are security problems with email in HTML
> format.  I read that a sender of HTML email can implant a program on
> the receiver's computer that will allow the sender to read all of the
> email that the receiver sends out to others.  Is this true?

Well, that's a bit fuzzy.  Please see below.

> Is this the main security concern with HTML email?

This page should adequately explain the security concerns (along with
netiquette ones):  http://expita.com/nomime.html

Other people may help out by posting more-detailed references on the
security aspects.

> Now the way to tell if an email is in HTML format is if it has fancy
> fonts and colors and italics, etc., is this correct?

The easiest way to tell if an e-mail is in HTML is to look at it "raw".
Since you use KMail, select a message and then select "View Source" from
the Messages menu.  KMail is like many other graphical mail clients in
making a distinction between message presentation and "source" (the raw
form).

--
Cheers,   "Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?"
Rick Moen                                              -- Steven Wright