2003 Jan 03 10:23

RE: [vox-tech] smtp question - blocked ip

ummm...email at work is MS Exchange and that works well enough protected by
an SMTP relay on the DMZ.

Existing Enterprise smtp relay entry point is also a Win32 solution that is a
cheap (cheap as in piece of crap) inflexible one at that.  A Linux solution
using Postfix or Sendmail has been proposed but is unlikely to be approved.
It is still under review at this point.  My existing SMTP relay is crap.

-sp

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Deppner [mailto:ted@psyber.com]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 10:00 AM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] smtp question - blocked ip

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 09:49:24AM -0800, Steven Peck wrote:
> will prbably see a dramatic increase.  The sad part is, a lot of it is to
non
> existant email addresses.  SO not only is the spammer irratating me, he is
> ripping off his customer.

So install a bounce handler that rejects originating IP's into your
system.  Set it to have a bounce/delivered ratio low enough that they only
get 100 or so emails through per ip they abuse.

I've recently set something similar to this up and it's all but stopped
stupid spammers cold.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/