Re: [vox-tech] PHP Files Do Not Execute

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:14:11AM -0800, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Another question from a PHP newbie.
>
> Yesterday my RH 7.2 box crashed due to UPS problems (
> that's another story.)
>
> After a power up, all seemed OK.  This morning I
> notice that some of the PHP scripts do not work.
> Others work fine.  All were working prior to the
> crash.
>
> For example, date.php, below, will act like text.  The
> browser just displays the file.  It doesn't get
> executed.
>
> Another PHP file, in the same dir, with the same
> permissions, works fine.
>
> I scanned httpd.conf for any obvious corruption but
> found none.
>
> What should I look at now?

What would help is the output from your httpd error log when you access
date.php.  httpd.conf should tell you where the error log is located.
Try: tail -f /path/to/error.log

I'd be very surprised if there was not some difference between your php
files that do work and those that don't.  In particular since you may
have been experimenting with short tags etc., i'd look into that.
Permissions probably aren't the issue, -rw-r--r-- should be fine.  Note
that the execute bit for php files shouldn't generally be set since your
web server may try to 'execute' the file as a CGI which it is not.

-ta