Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Linux Word Processors?

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Linux Word Processors?

Quoting Robert G. Scofield (rscofield@afes.com):

> WordPerfect 8 for Linux is one of the two greatest wordprocessors I've
> ever seen.  The other is WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS.  WP 8 for Linux
> could do things that WP 8 for Windows couldn't do.  It just seems like
> too much trouble to try to get it running on the old libraries.

It's a bit of a pain, but usually it requires only two optional packages
from your distribution (the ld.so one and libc5/libm5).  Most distributions
still automatically include the other stuff (e.g., X11 libs for libc5
clients), but this will definitely become a bigger problem over time.

If you can find a remaindered Corel Linux OS Deluxe box, that's actually
even better:  The included WP 8.1 is more complete (than the common
download edition), has a more extensive permissions grant in its licence
(licensed for commercial use), and _furnishes_ the needed libs.

> It seems that it would be better to switch to something with a future,
> and WordPerfect for Linux has no future.

Yes, that and the (I hope) slyly understated point about how this
relates to licensing were points I was trying to make sure my FAQ got
across to people.

> I'm distressed to read on your FAQ that Gobe Productive is being taken
> over by someone else.

No sign of life yet from freeradicalsoftware.com -- but they claim to be
preparing to re-release it under the GNU GPL.  That will/would be great,
when/if it happens.  Might be worth writing to the contact for that
domain (Lindsey, Scott  freeradical@bekins.dyndns.org), and asking if
there's any news.

> Thanks again for *everyone's* post.

Thanks for the kind words about my FAQ!

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers