Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on aLaptop

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on aLaptop?

Is it easy to remove and replace the harddrive in your laptop? I have some
experience with a Dell Inspiron 5000e with Win2K and Mandrake 8.2 Linux. I
just swap harddrives to change OSes. Maybe that may be the way you want to
go (unless you like the challenge of dual booting).

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Geoffrey Herteg wrote:

> Larry,
>
> Yep, my corporate lappy-top was dual-booted XP and Debian Woody prior to
> the lame BIOS password turning it into a brick (with no recovery option,
> per IBM's goal to make it 'theft-proof').
>
> Just install XP first, then Linux.  Make sure to tell LILO or Grub about
> the NTFS (you *did* use NTFS, right?) partition and it should boot fine
> (at least, it does on my T20 and did on the 570E).
>
> Hope this helps a little.  I'm sure we can suggest HOWTOs if needs be.
>
> - Geoff, lost in the Pacific Northwest without his map...
>
> begin  Larry Ozeran quotation:
> > Hi all --
> >
> > I want to create a demonstration system for speech recognition (dictation)
> > and open source medical office software. I need Dragon Dictate, which
> > requires Windows 2000 or XP, more than 256 MB RAM, and at least 800 Mhz
> > CPU. (ViaVoice for Linux is simply inadequate.) What I have read recently
> > suggests Linux and XP can coexist peacefully. However, I seem to recall
> > hearing that there can be problems dual booting with Windows XP, e.g. XP
> > must be installed first. Does anyone know of any gotchas to be aware of
> > when deciding which laptop to buy?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -- Larry

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg