Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on a Lapto

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on a Laptop?

B4 u buy, check to see if others have had problems with your model laptop:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Grab IRQ information and vendors for things like ethernet cards and model
numbers from windows if you have it.

Winmodem are a notorious problem - especially with laptops.

Grpahics card support is getting better in XFree86 v4, but can still be an
issue (especially for 3d support) again, check the linux laptops page.

I have and like My Dell laptop, and my older IBM ThinkPad. The ThinkPad
(eventually) had everything supported. (No built-in modem, and this was a
6 year old paperweight.) My Newer Dell is a big brick-like thing, but the
only thing not supported in Linux is the WinModem. (Tis ok since I have a
3com combo ethernet and modem in one.)

If you want to buy PCMCIA cards, check to see if the card is supported:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pcmcia-cs/pcmcia-cs-3.2.3.tar.gz?use_mirror=easynews
(Check the file supported cards (if strill there) to see what is supported.)

There are many more thoughts and suggestions on laptops and linux. The
above covers many ideas I would have "off the top."