Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on aLaptop

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on aLaptop?

I installed, with permission, Linux on the company laptop (which I'm using
now) that already had Windows XP installed; it's a dual-boot.  It's an HP
Pavilion XF255 we purchased from Costco.  Works great!

I used a partitioning software to partition NTFS, then installed Mandrake
8.2.  I think everything got autodetected nicely, though due to various
work needs I'm using mostly the Windows side.

As a sidenote, installing Putty, Cygwin, and DJGPP sweetened up the XP
really nicely.  And I got around the lack of the start.exe program by
aliasing `start` to `cmd /c start`.  Very nice.

-Mark

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Larry Ozeran wrote:

> Hi all --
>
> I want to create a demonstration system for speech recognition (dictation)
> and open source medical office software. I need Dragon Dictate, which
> requires Windows 2000 or XP, more than 256 MB RAM, and at least 800 Mhz
> CPU. (ViaVoice for Linux is simply inadequate.) What I have read recently
> suggests Linux and XP can coexist peacefully. However, I seem to recall
> hearing that there can be problems dual booting with Windows XP, e.g. XP
> must be installed first. Does anyone know of any gotchas to be aware of
> when deciding which laptop to buy?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Larry

Mark K. Kim