2002 Nov 16 22:53

Re: [vox-tech] Omsoft transparent HTTP proxy

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:56:37PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> Well I know the web browser transmits the hostname that you
> requested along with the rest of the URL.  This is required
> in order for name-based virtual hosting to work.
>
> So it appears your browser does not fill in a missing domain
> in the passed hostname.  Whether it should, I'm not sure.
> You might try some different browsers and see if they do it.

If it does, that behavior is broken and non-standard. The URL http://my (your
example) should resolve to the machine 'my' in the local network. This might
be 'my.internal' if you have a private network called internal, or
'my.ucdavis.edu' if your search domain (configured in /etc/resolv.conf) is
ucdavis.edu.

I have often been annoyed by web browsers that automatically convert
single-name URLs into www.{name}.com form, without even checking for the
existance of a machine {name} first. Lynx gets it right, checking first, then
trying name expansions. Konqueror does not. Why don't you see if lynx behaves
properly for you?

--
Henry House