2002 Nov 12 22:53

Re: [vox-tech] vim question

Hint: Vim's syntax highlighting works better under X.  You can also
convert the syntax highlighted text file to HTML, a feature that works
only under X (don't ask me why -- I got an error message when I tried it
under the console.)  I think Bill would find that feature quite handy when
he gives presentations since he wouldn't have to colorize everything by
hand (poor Bill...)

-Mark

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
> > Au contraire. I'm running Debian with the vim and vim-gtk packages
> > installed. The command "gvim" is softlinked to "vim." I'm used to the vim
> > command only running in shell and not involving the GTK version, where
> > gvim does. I think that recent versions have changed this functionality so
> > that "vim"  searches for the DISPLAY environment variable, and if present,
> > fires up the GUI code.
>
> *whistle*
>
> truth be told, i've never actually used gvim!   vim in an xterm is all i
> need.   :-)
>
> pete

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/