2002 Nov 12 18:32

Re: [vox-tech] vim question

Au contraire. I'm running Debian with the vim and vim-gtk packages
installed. The command "gvim" is softlinked to "vim." I'm used to the vim
command only running in shell and not involving the GTK version, where
gvim does. I think that recent versions have changed this functionality so
that "vim"  searches for the DISPLAY environment variable, and if present,
fires up the GUI code.

Does anyone know if there is a variable which can shut this off?

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> damn, matt.  you're good!   :)
>
> i thought rusty used debian though.  this doesn't seem like something
> debian would do...
>
> pete
>
> begin Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com>
> > I think some distributions build the vim executable in such a way that the
> > GTK interface is always used by default (i.e. without the -g option and
> > without running 'gvim').  When Rustry tries to edit files as root, the
> > GTK interface fails to connect to the X server so it falls back to the
> > console interface after displaying the warning messages he describes.
> >

> > Matt

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.gpg