2002 Nov 01 22:26

Re: [vox-tech] is this a job for Xlib?

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> matt, a possible option is to look at xvoice.  voice recognition
> software does precisely the same thing: given some alternate form of
> input, insert "typed characters" into X.  you might want to see how they
> do it.

Good suggestion.  Thanks.

> you also might want to look into gdk.   gdk is a very low lovel wrapper
> library for xlib.  it's probably just as complicated (or nearly so) but
> it hides some of the details and isn't as long winded.  i've played with
> gdk a bit, but i don't know how to solve your problem with what i know
> of that library.  anyway, you might want to look into gdk rather than
> xlib.   gdk also has the benefit of being portable across windowing
> systems.  i'm betting you can solve your problem with it.
>
> lugod has 2 or 3 books on xlib in the library if you decide to pursue
> that.  out of all the libraries i've played with (and i love to tinker),
> xlib was the only one i gave up on because it's hardness-to-interesting
> ratio was so high...

Yeah, I kind of figured as much.  This is another one of those little
problems for which the solution just might be too obscure to be
practical.  I thought I'd float the question just in case I was
overlooking something obvious, though.  But I will take a look at xvoice.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Holland