2002 Oct 29 22:27

Re: [vox-tech] regaining stability in Debian

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 08:38:55PM -0800, Issac Trotts wrote:
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=stable
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
> >

> > I am not quite sure if security upates in this context are "stable" , or
> > something else, but you can comment it out after you've downgaded.
>
> OK, so I updated sources.list to have stable entries and created
> the preferences file (which didn't exist).  Then I tried
>
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> and it told me
>
>   Reading Package Lists... Done
>   Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   Calculating Upgrade... Done
>   The following packages will be REMOVED:
>     [ long list including lots of things I don't want to remove ]
>   The following packages will be DOWNGRADED
>     bind9-host dnsutils libc6 libc6-dev libdns5 libfam0 libisc4
>     liblwres1 libnspr4 libnss3 libssl0.9.6 mpack python-doc
>     python2.1-doc python2.2-doc
>   WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
>   This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>     apt libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (due to apt) base-files
>     base-passwd (due to base-files) bash bsdutils coreutils
>     debianutils dpkg dselect (due to dpkg) e2fsprogs gzip login
>     libpam-modules (due to login) libpam0g (due to login) mount
>     perl-base sysvinit util-linux (due to sysvinit) tar
>   0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 15 downgraded, 620 to remove and
>   0  not upgraded.
>   Need to get 11.0MB of archives. After unpacking 1301MB will be freed.
>   You are about to do something potentially harmful
>   To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
>
> so I think maybe I missed a step...

Hmm, this is very weird. When I set my unstable system with that
apt-prefernces and stable apt source, the only essential removals I get
are coreutils and dselect.

Some packages are expected to be removed, since they don't exist in
stable and depend on new libc, but no essential packages.

Want to share your /etc/apt/sources.list ?

--
	GPG key-id: 1024D/DF04A255                 Dmitriy
	AA16 8FAB 74E1 3511 83D0  9F4B F087 CEC9 DF04 A255