January 6: Social gathering
2002 Oct 29 16:25

[vox-tech] make question - pattern rule

Here's a makefile i wrote:

  DIAGRAMS = postscript/finish.pdf postscript/next.pdf postscript/next3.pdf \
     postscript/step.pdf postscript/until.pdf
  CHAPTERS := $(wildcard *.tex)

  ddd.pdf: $(CHAPTERS) $(DIAGRAMS)
     pdflatex ddd.tex
     pdflatex ddd.tex

  postscript/finish.pdf:
     cd postscript; latex next.tex; dvips -E next.dvi > next.ps;
     cd postscript; epstopdf next.ps

  postscript/next.pdf:
     cd postscript; latex next.tex; dvips -E next.dvi > next.ps;
     epstopdf next.ps

  postscript/next3.pdf:
     cd postscript; latex next3.tex; dvips -E next3.dvi > next3.ps
     cd postscript; epstopdf next3.ps

  postscript/step.pdf:
     cd postscript; latex step.tex; dvips -E step.dvi > step.ps
     cd postscript; epstopdf step.ps

  postscript/until.pdf:
     cd postscript; latex until.tex; dvips -E until.dvi > until.ps
     cd postscript; epstopdf until.ps

I'd like to replace all the "postscript/blah.pdf" rules with a pattern
rule, but i'm stuck.  here's what i tried:

   %.pdf : %.tex
      cd postscript; latex $<; dvips -E

i'm not sure what to put after -E.    i'd like to mimic what i have
above, but am unsure how to handle changing the suffix of the target
name.

any ideas?

pete