2002 Oct 24 14:29

Re: [vox-tech] sendmail configuation question

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 01:13:31PM -0700, eric_cl@pacbell.net wrote:
> I have three RedHat 7.3 servers with default sendmail installations which can
> send but not receive email. For each server:
>
> 1. The registered domain name resolves properly.
>
> 2. The /etc/services entry shows:
> smtp            25/tcp          mail
> smtp            25/udp          mail
>
> 3. services sendmail status:
> sendmail (pid 893) is running...
>
> 4. firewall is off
>
> 5. Each machine is capable of sending mail.
>
> 6. telnet <machine> 25:
> Trying <correct address>...
> telnet: connect to address <same correct address>: Connection refused

Check that the server is listening on the wildcard address. Look at the
output of "netstat --inet -l". If you see an entry in the Local Address
column like "localhost.localdomain:smtp", then sendmail is only
listening on the loopback interface, not to the network.

If this is the case, look in /etc/sendmail.mc
(could be /etc/mail/sendmail.mc on RedHat), and there will probably be
something like DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1'). Comment this
out, rebuild /etc/sendmail.cf, and restart sendmail.

> I am slowly going through the sendmail documentation, but any pointers by the
> sendmail savvy would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to
> receive mail locally (no relay), and in one case, the server will be running
> mailman.
>
> Suggestions? Anyone know of mini-howto sized documentation?

I found the following page on sendmail. It's got what I told you above,
plus what looks like some stuff on local forwarding, but I only skimmed
that.

> Usually a Postfix user,

Ditto. I use Postfix whenever I can, and sendmail when my boss wants it.