2002 Oct 22 13:19

[vox-tech] Why I'll Never Be a Network Admin Guy

[vox-tech] Why I'll Never Be a Network Admin Guy

My wife's domain, jenipurr.com, is having odd issues today.  Of course,
the first thing I did was ping the domain to see if I could do any
trouble shooting.  This is what I got:

>From dist2-vlan10.scrm01.pbi.net (64.171.152.3): Time to live exceeded
>From dist2-vlan10.scrm01.pbi.net (64.171.152.3): Time to live exceeded
>From dist2-vlan10.scrm01.pbi.net (64.171.152.3): Time to live exceeded

...and so on.

What, exactly, does this error mean?  I've checked with our hosting
service and with register.com (I can't seem to connect to the whois
database today), and her domain registration appears to be valid for
another nine years or so.

So what does "Time to live exceeded" mean?

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com