2002 Oct 20 23:56

RE: [vox-tech] working around bad blocks?

Depends on the brand.

Western Digital has a utility to test their hard drives, it will try and
correct up to 10 errors by remapping blocks, etc.  If it fails it gives you
an error code which you tell the Western Digital technician on the phone when
you are requesting a warantee return.  Warentee returns take a week if you
don't cross ship.

Many hard drives have a 5 year warrantee now, so I would go to the venders
website and see if they have a utility to test your drive.

-sp

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan [mailto:ryan+lugod@cal.net]
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 9:57 AM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [vox-tech] working around bad blocks?

I have three 40 GB hard drives that I wish to use RIAD 5 on.

the first hard drives has 12 bad blocks on it (i also have the sector numbers

How the heck do I work around the bad blocks to set up RAID?

I could partition around it, but then one of my partitions would be smaller
then I want by about 10 GB.

anyone have any other ideas?