2002 Oct 16 22:39

Re: [vox-tech] Olympus Camedia D380

Dick McCabe Jr wrote:
> I wrote in a while back about accessing my new D380 with Linux.  Thanks
> to everyone that answered me.  I am working long hours and have limited
> time. It turns out Mandrake 8.2 recognized it as USB mass storage, gave
> the vendor and model.  It listed the Type: Direct-Access
> Then it says "/etc/hotplug/usb.agent: missing kernel or user mode driver
> usb-storage"

Have you tried "locate usb-storage.o"?  On my RH system it's in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/usb/storage.

> How do I install this driver?  Do I need to recompile my kernel.  Or
> should I just get Mandrake 9.0 that claims to put an icon on the desktop
> when a USB device is plugged in?

If you're running the stock Mandrake kernel, I would imagine that the
driver should be there in /lib/modules, and if it's not, I'd suggest
reinstalling the kernel according to Mandrake's instructions (I would be
really surprised if Mandrake 8.2's default configuration didn't include
that module).  If you did compile your own kernel, there's a good chance
that you didn't compile the usb-storage module.  If that's the case,
compiling a new kernel would seem like a reasonable thing to do.

If, in fact, you have the usb-storage module (in the correct
/lib/modules/... location for the kernel you're booting with), then I
don't know what else to suggest.  In my limited experience, usb storage
devices have Just Worked (TM).

Good luck,
Matt