2002 Oct 16 10:08

Re: [vox-tech] Installing Adaptec SCSI Card

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:16:40PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> At one point, I broke two vanilla IDE boxes because 'make old-config' assumed
> built-in IDE support should be 'N', and I wasn't paying attention
> (just holding [Enter] key down)  ;^)
>
> *grumble*

I thought "make oldconfig" would only stop at the differences between
your previously running .config file when copied from another
(often/usually) previous kernel version...

Unless your kernel src tree came with a .config... in which case, it
would not stop for anything, as the .config that it shipped with would
likely have the same options specified that were available before.

make oldconfig is a very cool tool. I use it often when upgrading and it
has not failed me yet. :-)

Of course it was not perfect when sound card compile options were not
stored in .config... remember the bad-old days? :-P blech

We have it sooooo much better now. :-)

-ME