2002 Sep 27 11:31

Re: [vox-tech] boot problems

begin andy wergedal <awerg@yahoo.com>
> All,
>
> I have a problem booting my laptop. I put it into suspend
> mode last night. It did not suspend but just powered off.
> Now it hangs when it boots.
>
> Laptop: Dell Latitude D300XT
> OS: KRUD 7.3 (Redhat 7.3 with all the security updates)
>
> Here is the text displayed
>
> starting PCMCIA: Yenta IRQ list 0618 PCI irq11
> socket status 30000010
> Yenta IRQ list 0618, PCI irq11
> socket status 30000006

is this the last message you see?

socket status... wierd.  have you tried waiting 10 minutes to see if
whatever is happening times out?  i'd be surprised if this didn't time
out eventually.

have you tried taking out all pcmcia cards?

> I need to recover my home directory.
>
> Any suggestions?

use your boot/rescue disk.   lnx-bbc is perfect for this; networking is
effortless and you can scp over home.tar.bz2.  the debian install disks
are good rescue disks too.

don't reinstall the OS;  this is fixable.

pete