2002 Sep 23 12:10

Re: [vox-tech] how *not* to load the serial module at boot time?

Re: [vox-tech] how *not* to load the serial module at boot time?

> But I'm still not sure if the driver getting loaded first is the problem
> because you said:
>
>    Nothing works until
>    I do:
>
>    # setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
>    # rmmod lirc_serial
>    # insmod lirc_serial
>
> but if the driver itself was interfering, you'd have to unload it, like:
>
>    # rmmod serial
>    # rmmod lirc_serial
>    # insmod lirc_serial
>
> but obviously you don't, so it's the default configuration of the serial
> driver that's problem not the driver itself; and the configuration should
> be settable by creating /etc/rc.d/rc.serial.

Good point.  As it turns out, I think you suggestion did work -- on my
last boot (after creating /etc/rc.d/rc.serial) I didn't have to do
anything to get the lirc interface working.  I think I was deceived by
the fact that I got exactly the same error messages from lirc_serial
when it loaded.  This suggests to me that it checks to see if the serial
driver has been loaded, but not whether the port has been freed.

> executed.  BTW, make sure you chmod the created file with executable
> permission after you create it.

That's one lesson I learned long ago!

Thanks,
Matt