2002 Sep 19 21:31

Re: [vox-tech] X11 on remote machine

Yesterday, Robin Snyder wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Debian's woody distribution and can no longer
> forward X11 info. when I'm logged into a remote machine via ssh.
> Here's the situation:
>
> logged on remotely to my account on another machine.  I want to send it's
> X output to my screen.  On my machine, I used xhost +theothermachine to
> give it permission, then, once logged in, used setenv DISPLAY
> my_IP:0 to switch the display to my screen.  No go.  It's not a
> case of doubly assigned or incorrect IP numbers--I can ssh back into my
> machine using that IP.  When I try to start emacs, I get
>
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> and when I try to run mathtematica, I get
>
> connect 169.237.66.157 port 6000: Connection refused
> connect 169.237.66.157 port 6000: Connection refused
> X connection to localhost:14.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I get these errors when my local x server isn't running or is broke. I use
Humming bird quite a bit from a company win2k laptop. I'm also
experimenting with cygwin X.

Perhaps it's a silly question, but is you local X in good working order?
Also I notice that the error above shows it trying to connect to
lcoalhost:14.0, are you srue you set DISPLAY= correctly?

HTH
-doug