2002 Sep 19 19:34

Re: [vox-tech] Modem Questions...

On Thursday 19 September 2002 18:53, Richard Crawford wrote:
> And I'm afraid they don't really involve Linux.
>
> My wife and I have taken new jobs!  Whee!
>
> The company -- Citicorp, of all things -- will be giving us laptop
> computers to take on the road with us, with modems.  Said computers
> will not be including network cards, unfortunately, though I don't
> mind shelling out the money for those myself.
>
> But the modems raise a couple of issues.
>
> First, is there such a thing as a modem splitter -- such that my
> wife and I can both be plugged in to the same phone line in a hotel
> room or something like that and be doing separate things?

The only way that could be feasable is if you are in different bands,
like you are using 56K and she is using 9600, or something.  The
modem is using signals from a certain frequency band, and 2 similar
modems will just wreak havoc w/ each other.

You should probably investigate one connection (one modem, one line),
and maybe someone can tell you how to have both of you use the same
connection, like network the pc's, and use one connection.