2002 Sep 18 23:47

Re: [vox-tech] X11 on remote machine

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 03:06:17PM -0700, Robin Snyder wrote:
> I recently upgraded to Debian's woody distribution and can no longer
> forward X11 info. when I'm logged into a remote machine via ssh.
> Here's the situation:
>
> logged on remotely to my account on another machine.  I want to send it's
> X output to my screen.  On my machine, I used xhost +theothermachine to
> give it permission, then, once logged in, used setenv DISPLAY
> my_IP:0 to switch the display to my screen.  No go.  It's not a
> case of doubly assigned or incorrect IP numbers--I can ssh back into my
> machine using that IP.  When I try to start emacs, I get
>
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> and when I try to run mathtematica, I get
>
> connect 169.237.66.157 port 6000: Connection refused
> connect 169.237.66.157 port 6000: Connection refused
> X connection to localhost:14.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Debian doesn't  allow TCP connections to X server by default due to
security reasons.
I guess ssh is your best bet.

If you need mathematica very badly and can't get SSH X forwarding
working, you could remove "-nolisten tcp" in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
(not recommended)

--
	GPG key-id: 1024D/DF04A255                 Dmitriy
	AA16 8FAB 74E1 3511 83D0  9F4B F087 CEC9 DF04 A255