2002 Sep 18 14:07

Re: [vox-tech] Printouts cliped, how to fix?

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:37:04PM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> When I print things with default settings, (ie, `ls | lpr`) my text is cut
> off at the top and right. Anyone know how to fix this?

There can be many causes for this problem. In my experience (limited to
postscript laser printers, as I avoid all other printers like the plague),
clipped plain text has occurred when the printer tries print right to the
edge of the paper, with little or no margin. This behavior is probably
tunable by setting some variable in the printers' firmware, but I found it
easiest to set up a print filter (I use lprng) that runs plain text through
mpage to convert it to postscript. An example print filter that does this is
/etc/magicfilter/psonly600-filter from magicfilter on Debian. Another fun
filter is:

	#!/bin/sh
	pstops '1:0U(8.5in,11in)'

which causes the postscript printer to print every page upside-down. This is
useful to make all the printers in an office all expect letterhead, etc to be
fed in the same way.

--
Henry House