2002 Sep 17 16:57

[vox-tech] Re: Newbie: On building a Linux box

[vox-tech] Re: Newbie: On building a Linux box

On Tuesday, Sep 17 2002, B Raiford spake thus:
> It was suggested that I take everything out of the box that is not needed to
> buing up the basic Linux OS; I did, and it began to install. I tried to put
> it on a 6.4GB hard disk, but it only recognizes 2GB. I am removing that hard
> disk and putting in the 41GB disk to try it.
>
> The problem I had appears to have been the NEC-ZIP-100. It seemed to be
> trying to identify the ZIP drive as hdb, and kept loosing the interrupt.

This article on the register might prove somewhat insightful:

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22882.html>

In particular the paragraph:

     Indeed, 'Red Hat Linux 7.2 should be compatible with most
     hardware in systems that were factory built within the last two
     years,' the installation guide optimistically chirps. That
     describes my Dell Dimension B733R perfectly, having been 'factory
     built' less than two years ago but not so recently that it might
     contain a new curve.

     The problem was that my two CDROM drives were hooked up to an IDE
     channel by Dell monkeys via 'cable select', which meant that I
     either had to disable DMA during the installation, or set the
     drives as master and slave manually with the jumpers to avoid
     read errors.

The article also mentions something along the lines of SuSE having
"disable dma" as an option during installation which is probably why
your friend recommended SuSE.

HTH.