2002 Sep 12 19:26

Re: [vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Today, Stephen M. Helms wrote:

> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>:
>
> > begin Stephen M. Helms <smh@silkie.org>
> > >
> > > First off like Rick mentions it is better to spend the extra money and
> > get a
> > > *Real* modem.  A winmodem/linmodem is not really a true modem at all
> > it is a
> > > parasite and leeches performance from your cpu.  It is a software
> > modem.
> >
> > they actually have their uses.  if you go to linmodem.org, there's a
> > short section on the uses of winmodems.
> >
> > they actually sound pretty cool!
> >
> > pete
>
> Ok, I looked at there page (actually linmodems.org) and sure enough you have a
> point and it does look like there are some uses for them.  I guess I will have
> to take a look at what I can do with the one built into my son's computer.  I
> have dsl so I never bothered with it.

I don't believe that I actually have an urge to go buy a winmodem....

I never thought about voice dialing until just now. I've been thinking
about looking into voice recognition on linux for just X interface (I hate
mice). Does anybody here have any experience with voice recognition under
linux?

-doug