2002 Sep 12 08:15

Re: [vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Re: [vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Quoting Larry Ozeran (lozeran@clinicalinformatics.com):

> Thanks for your comments. I have been to linmodem before and I was never
> able to get any of the drivers there to work.

Just to clarify, linmodems.org is just an information clearinghouse
site, and doesn't develop winmodem drivers, only link to them.  I have
my own summary of known winmodem drivers, at the end of
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#winmodem

My own view is that it's better in the long term to just write off the
(tiny) cost of a winmodem and get a genuine hardware modem to use,
instead.  (If nothing else, your time and trouble cost something.)

> From my perspective, it is still a level of cooperation from
> Conexant that didn't exist before.

I don't see that:  Same proprietary code as before, except now they want
to con the open source community to maintain wrapper layers for them.
But views obviously differ widely.

--
Cheers,   "This is mad, egotistical, sick, twisted, and stretches the bounds of
Rick Moen   good taste right off the tongue, past the uvula, and down around