2002 Sep 11 23:38

[vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

[vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

I am posting this FYI and also in the hopes someone might be interested in
helping write a device driver.

<informational part>
It looks like Conexant has finally decided to cooperate with the Linux
community to develop drivers for their winmodems. Their efforts can be
found at:
http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/index.html#about

I downloaded a version which has run the last couple days without a problem
(though they provide the usual disclaimers about "fitness"). The driver
does not yet have fax or voice capabilities.

<here's the request part>
Unfortunately, the sound system (which also resides on the same Conexant
chip), does NOT work, even with the 0.4 version of the RIPTIDE driver. Marc
Boucher appears to be doing the primary work, but seems interested in
having others assist. Because this is a commonly used Sound/Modem chip (HP
and possibly also DELL), I suspect there are many (possibly thousands) of
people who have considered using Linux, but then gave it up when they could
not get their modem or sound working. Anyone with interest and ability in
furthering the reach of Linux can reach Marc at the web site above.

Thanks

-- Larry