2002 Sep 02 09:35

Re: [vox-tech] File recovery?

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 01:17:43AM -0700, Ryan wrote:
> > However, if you are set on this direction, you could try using grep. :-)
> >
> > grep --binary-files=text --byte-offset "hello" /dev/hda1 |less
> > variations to this can further help refine the search for the offset.
> >
> > It will likely be messy. :-/
>
> I just tried using mplayer on a offset in the partition. Only plays a few
> frames before quiting due to "end of file"
>
> TCT looks like it's not going to do anything for recovering files if debugfs
> can't find any deleted inodes, besides text files and crap. I mentioned
> earlire, this stuff is mostly fansubbed anime, so it looks as though I'm just
> going to have to re-download the lost files.

I think your best bet would be to try and chase down the deleted entries for
the *directory* that actually contained your lost files.  Trying to piece
together a huge (likely fragmented) file from raw disk data seems futile
unless...  Hmm., maybe you could try cracking an important .gov system and
let them recontruct your drive for you ;-)

-t (who once redirected output onto > /dev/hda1)