2002 Sep 02 09:29

Re: [vox-tech] File recovery?

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Ryan wrote:

> I don't want a binary editor, I want somting to grep the disk and print out
> offsets.

Binary file editors (called "hex" editors for some reason... prolly
because people use hex codes to look at binary files) generally have
options to search for a given string and show you the offsets as well.

> I just tried using mplayer on a offset in the partition. Only plays a
> few frames before quiting due to "end of file"

Probably because the file isn't stored consecutively on the disk.  You'll
need to find all the cluster locations first so you can "sew" them
together.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim