2002 Aug 31 13:20

[vox-tech] Robin Snyder's X server problem on work computer

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 12:51:36PM -0700, Robin Snyder wrote:

> > begin Robin Snyder <resnyder@ucdavis.edu>
> > > I've run into the usual infinite regress of problems.  Woody has now
> > > become "stable" in the Debian hierarchy, so the other day, I upgraded my
> > > work machine from potato to woody.  (My previous message concerned my home
> > > machine.)  In the process, X broke.  After much futzing, it's still
> > > broken.
> >
> > > I think I may just have it, although it keeps asking for the mga_hal
> > > module, which I've never needed before.
> >
> > the first step should've been to use google to find out what mga_hal is.
> > if you google for it, you'd probably have a better idea about whether
> > it's relevent to your system or not.
> >
> > i did a quick google, and it appears to be related to the matrox g400
> > series of cards.
> >
> > do you have one of those (or a compatible video chipset)?
>
> No.  I have an ATI XPERT 128 AGP.  When running dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86, I chose ati over mga_hal.  It may be asking for the
> mga because someone who was trying to help me earlier chose mga.  I
> don't think I've successfully made my way through dpkg-reconfigure
> yet.

I just looked on packages.debian.org and read with interest that
dpkg-reconfigure now makes use of three packages that I had not previously
heard of to help in detecting video hardware. These are:

	discover
      hardware identification system
	mdetect
      mouse device autodetection tool
	read-edid
		hardware information-gathering tool for VESA PnP monitors

You might try installing these, if they are not there already. These are
'suggested' packages, not dependancies, so apt-get will not normally fetch
them when installing the X server package.

Based on the X log you posted, it is clear that the harware detection (by
dpkg-reconfigure) failed, setting up a config for a Matrox card not and ATI,
and so the X server was looking for hardware that wasn't there. Hence the
error 'no screens found'.

I suggest you try dpkg-reconfigure again with the packages above installed,
then post both the X server log and the genetrated config file if X still
does not work.

--
Henry House