2002 Aug 30 12:23

[vox-tech] debian/vim question

hola lugod,

i want to play around with vim syntax files.  however, i don't want to
start mucking around in /usr.  i'd have to place a file in
/usr/share/vim/vim61 and edit a file /usr/share/vim/vim61/filetype.vim.

i created a local vim run-time directory of /usr/local/share/vim.

as a shot in the dark, i hoped that $VIMRUNTIME was a colon separated
list of paths, like $PATH.  unfortunately it's not.  i can either have
it point to my /usr/local/share/vim directory or the system's
/usr/share/vim directory.  i get my choice, one or the other.

i *could* copy all the system files to my local directory (or even
symlink them), but i'd rather not.  it could potentially cause problems
when vim gets upgraded.   i'd rather just have my local vim files
separate but supplement the system files.

suggestions on the best way to proceed?

pete