2002 Aug 28 19:40

Re: [vox-tech] need help with the lugod faq

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hola, lugod.
>
> i just added the following sections to the lugod faq:
>
>    http://lugod.org/documents/faq/lugod-faq.html#MUNGFROM
>    http://lugod.org/documents/faq/lugod-faq.html#MUNGFROMMUTT
>
> my birthday is coming up within the next couple of weeks.
>
> if any pine or elm users out there want to give me a present for my
> birthday, please donate an answer for the lugod faq to the questions:
>
>    http://lugod.org/documents/faq/lugod-faq.html#MUNGFROMPINE

Happy Birthday, Peter!

Pine:

I use one method, and a quick web search yielded another, more general,
method.

a) If your loginname on your Linux box is the same as your username in
your email address, you can change your effective domain name with a
~/.pinerc variable:

# Sets domain part of From: and local addresses in outgoing mail.
user-domain=dcn.davis.ca.us

b) If your loginname is not the same, you will need to create a "role" in
Main -> Setup -> Rules -> Roles -> Add, and confirm the following
settings for that role:
  Nickname = Always Use!
  Current Folder Type = Any
  Set From = Your Name <youremailaddress@yourispsdomain.net>
  Reply Use = Without confirmation
  Forward Use = Without confirmation
  Compose Use = Without confirmation
These instructions are a brief summary of the explanation at
http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/changing_from/

Note that unless your ~/.pinerc "smtp-server=" setting is set to point at
your isp, Pine will default to using your local "sendmail" command, which
will (hopefully) refuse to let you send using this forged From: header, no
matter how you managed convinced Pine to generate it. However, sending
through a local smtp server is convenient because it allows you to spool
your outbound email while your Net connectivity is disabled.  To resolve
this, I have instructed my Exim smtp service to regard my local "jdnewmil"
username as "trusted" using the
 trusted_users = mail:jdnewmil
option in exim.conf.  A similar "trusted user" option is available in
sendmail.cf.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing